Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Today's Word: Integrity

I care, but I dont care. Im irritated,.. but for me to sincerely give a fuck is against my nature. Im speaking of today's incident-the loss, and subsequent theft of my phone by some unknown assailant. Allow me to tell the tale. Upon my umi's (mother's) suggestion, I decided to treat my umi and my dear sun to an afternoon delight of ice cream. The first destination, the local ice cream/ soft serve shop, was closed because, ironically, their machine had frozen. At this point, feelings of defeat abound...but hey, my umi wants some ice cream..so gotdamnit, she's gonna get some! Thinking of alternatives, she suggests that we just go to the bodega to see if they have any ice cream bars--negative..they have all but one solitary Good Humor strawberry shortcake left in the freezer case. SHIT! Now mind you..this this whole little ice cream adventure was on foot, because I was taking my sun on his afternoon walk. So..we sit for a moment. Im thinking. There's a Baskin Robins up the street..not really THAT far, but on a humid ass summer day, its fuckin far enough. So I put it out there..bcuz I want my umi to get her damn ice cream. (Of course) she's up to it, I check the kiddo-he seems up to it..so its decided, and we're on our way to the damn Baskin Robins. Along the way, the kiddo and I play and fool around..chasing each other, playin hide n' seek, kicking rocks..the sorta juvenile, fun shit that toddlers enjoi. So..we finally arrive at the Baskin Robins. She gets a scoop of Basketball Nut (the flavor of the month), the kiddo gets a kiddie sized soft serve cup, and I get a double scoop-one of Pistachio Almond and one of Very Berry Strawberry. I pay, we go outside, and finally eat our ice cream. -All is well in the world-. With the ice cream smashed, we rid ourselves of the empty containers and head back for my house. (More juvenile, fun shit ensues.) Damn near a half block before I reach my house, I see a cell phone back (the piece that covers the battery) on the ground. Triggers thought.."where's MY phone?" (Looks down..not on hip where it normally resides.) Awww FUCK!! Think back, think back. Hmmm. Had it at destinations one and two...destination three..not so sure. Operation Retrace Steps, engage. I back tracked every step, but to no avail. So..my conclusion is that when we were sitting, it slid off my hip, unbeknownst to me, and fell in the mulch beside me, bcuz that would be the only time that I would neither feel or hear it hit the ground. Someone clearly picked up.....probably beside them self with glee, having found a brand new touch sceen. Obviously, I call........I try three times, leaving a voicemail the last time informing the person that the service will be shut off within the next hour. I call my carrier, then the claims' folk...yada yada yada..so on and so forth.

So..thats the tale.

Im not really irrated that I lost the phone..Im moreso irrated that people dont have integrity. Now, I understand that the allure of finding a brand new phone somewhere is mighty appealing to folk..trust me, I know..bcuz Ive been on the other side of the situation a few different times. But Ive always returned the phone to the owner..one-bcuz I would want someone to do that for me, two-bcuz its the right thing to do, and three-bcuz I know invaluable our phones are to us. Mofos were damn near ready to kiss me for returning their phones, and understandibly so. The fact that people would keep an item they found, that they KNOW its owner is looking for, is beyond me. Yet and still..people do this kinda shit every-fuckin-day,..but then have the gull to be mad at "them muthafuckas" when they find themself in a similar, unfortunate situation. -Fuckin mind boggling-

In the end..its jus a phone...I'll get a brand new one in the mail in a few days...the shit really isnt that deep.

But its the principle of the thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment